A shower chair is essential for anyone with difficulty standing in the shower or bathtub. Persons with limited movement due to injury or disability can use this sturdy and adaptable piece of equipment for sitting comfortably and safely. A shower chair is a great investment whether one is nursing an injury, coping with arthritis, or wanting to take a more relaxing shower. A shower chair may suit anyone's demands, thanks to the variety of designs and functionalities available.
Moreover, shower chairs are designed for individuals with mobility issues. They can also be used for older people, people recovering from surgery, people with disabilities, and pregnant people. Shower chairs come in different styles and designs to cater to the needs of different individuals. Some shower chairs have a backrest to provide additional support, while others have a commode-style design that includes a built-in toilet seat.
The shower chair is made of durable and lightweight materials such as plastic and aluminum, which makes it easy to move and maneuver. With that said, this blog will explore the benefits of shower chairs, how to install and the popular brands of shower chairs.
Benefits of Shower Chairs
Obviously there are several different benefits that can be found from shower chairs. Some of the best ones include:
- Safety - A shower chair offers a safe and solid place to sit, minimizing the possibility of slips and falls in the wet environment of a bathroom.
- Comfort - For those who have trouble standing for long periods or suffer from chronic discomfort, a shower chair is a welcome addition to the bathroom.
- Independence - A shower chair is a great option for those who need aid but prefer to keep their privacy.
- Convenience - To provide the user with additional support and comfort, many shower chairs feature a backrest and armrest; some models even have a built-in toilet seat in the style of a commode.
- Adjustability - Many shower seats come with a height-adjustment mechanism so people of varying stature can use them.
- Durability - The plastic and aluminum used to construct shower chairs are strong and incredibly lightweight, making them a breeze to transport from place to place without damage.
- Non-Slip Feet - Most shower chairs have non-slip feet, which keep them securely in place and prevent accidents.
- Accessibility - The use of a shower chair can make showering much more convenient for those who have mobility issues, are elderly, have recently undergone surgery, or are expecting a child.
Installing a Shower Chair
Installing a shower chair is relatively easy but requires some basic tools and time. Here is a general overview of the steps involved in installing a shower chair:
- Measure the shower or bathtub - It's important to take accurate measurements of the shower or bathtub before buying a shower chair.
- Gather tools - A drill, a level, and a screwdriver or drill bits are required. Additionally, anchors or toggle bolts are needed, depending on the type of shower chair installed.
- Install the legs - Most shower chairs have legs that can be screwed into the shower or bathtub floor. Use the level to ensure the legs are level, and secure them with screws or toggle bolts.
- Attach the seat - Once the legs are securely in place, attach the seat to the legs. This can usually be done with a simple screwdriver or drill.
- Adjust the height - Many shower chairs are adjustable, so the height can be customized to suit anyone’s needs.
- Test the chair - Before using it, test it to ensure it is stable and secure.
It's important to note that installing a shower chair may vary depending on the type of shower chair and the kind of bathroom one has. Some shower chairs require professional installation or need to be installed by a plumber. It's always a good idea to refer to the manufacturer's instructions for specific information on installation and safety guidelines.
Popular Brands of Shower Chairs
- Medline: Medline is a popular brand that provides a variety of shower chairs, some of which are equipped with backs, arms, and even toilet seats. Bariatric shower chairs with integrated toilet seats are only two of the many types available to suit a wide range of requirements.
- Drive Medical: Drive Medical is another popular brand that offers a variety of shower chairs. They have various designs to cater to different needs, including adjustable-height shower chairs with non-slip tips.
- AquaSense: AquaSense is popular in bathroom safety items like shower seats. They have a wide variety of shower chairs, including those with and without backs and arms, commode-style designs, and height adjustments.
- Eagle Health Supplies: This manufacturer also provides a diverse selection of shower chairs, some of which feature built-in commodes. They also have a line of bariatric shower chairs that can support up to 600 lbs.
- Carex: Many different kinds of shower chairs are available from the Carex brand. Those who would rather not sit during their shower can choose from their selection of shower chairs.
These are just a few examples of popular brands of shower chairs, and many other brands are available on the market, each with unique features and designs. When choosing a shower chair, it's important to consider the specific needs, such as weight capacity and design, as well as the brand's reputation for quality and durability. Also, it's always a good idea to read reviews and compare different brands before purchasing.
To sum up, a shower chair is essential for anyone with difficulty standing in the shower or bathtub. With a wide range of styles and features, a shower chair is perfect for anyone’s needs. Not only does it provide safety and comfort, but it also allows for independence and privacy. The disabled, the elderly, the recently surgical, and the expecting can all benefit from enhanced accessibility.
Health Disclaimer: All content and media on Zubican.com are produced for general informational purposes only. This content is not meant to be an alternative to professional advice from a doctor or other healthcare provider and shouldn’t be relied on as personal health advice. Results of any treatment or advice used from Zubican.com's content may have varying results.
It is strongly recommended to always seek the guidance of a doctor or other healthcare provider with questions regarding any health or a medical issue. Advice and treatment plans should never be disregard from a medical professional, or delay seeking it because of the content on Zubican.com.
If a medical emergency, call a doctor, travel to the closest hospital emergency department, or dial 9-1-1 immediately. Choosing to rely on any content provided by Zubican.com, is solely done at your own risk.