A good night’s sleep is an underrated thing. Many people who get a good nights’ sleep just take it for granted. Ask the people who don’t get a good night’s sleep. The people who suffer by waking up repeatedly. The people who can’t fall asleep easily. The people who stop breathing in the middle of the night without realizing it. These groups of people know exactly what a good night’s sleep means.
While there’s many problems that can lead to being unable to sleep well, there’s also many different sleeping aids to combat these issues. Sleeping aids can be medications. They may try to alter body positioning to help with sleep. Some are physical objects used in the sleep process. Take this opportunity to learn more about sleeping. Learn some of the potential problems and some solutions to these problems.
Common Sleeping Problems
There are a wide variety of issues that people can suffer from which doesn’t allow them to rest. Either sleep is difficult to come by, or is interrupted.
- Snoring - Snoring is one of the most common sleep issues. Often the person snoring isn’t troubled, but any significant others sleeping in the same bed can be woken repeatedly.
- Sleep Apnea - This is a serious condition in which a person stops breathing while they are sleeping. Sleep apnea varies from mild to severe. People can experience apnea events multiple times per night.
- Restless Leg Syndrome - People who suffer from restless leg can’t help but want to move their legs or arms repeatedly throughout the night.
- Insomnia - People who suffer from insomnia are quite simply unable to fall asleep or stay asleep. Everyone may have a bad night’s sleep at some point, but insomnia can grow to extreme levels with people unable to sleep many nights. Technically to be diagnosed, people need to suffer from the symptoms for a period of three months.
Popular Sleeping Aids
There are a number of different sleeping aids that can be used to help a person who struggles to sleep well. These sleeping aids are generally targeted at a specific condition, while others are just to assist a person in falling asleep. Some of the popular sleep aids and items include:
- Over The Counter Drugs - There are a variety of medications that can be used to help a person sleep. Most of these over the counter sleep aids are specifically targeted for occasional use. Over taking them can result in troublesome side effects like
- Mouth Guards - These are aimed at people who snore. A mouth guard will alter the angle of the jaw and can open up the airways which can reduce snoring. Mouth guards can also be useful for people who grind their teeth.
- Nasal Strips - Nasal strips are another option for people who snore. Nasal stripes are attached to the outside of the nose and gently flex the nostrils outwards. This can result in a better airflow for the nose.
- Weighted Blankets - Many people swear by the power of the weighted blanket. Weighted blankets are advertised to make people feel like they are being hugged as they sleep. The extra weight is meant to help stop people from tossing and turning and reduce restless leg syndrome. Weighted blankets usually use odorless glass beads woven into the threads and in pockets to add the extra heft.
- CPAP Machine - This is a specific machine that’s designed for people who suffer from sleep apnea. Machines use air pressure to open up the airwaves and ensure that people aren’t suffering from moments where they stop breathing. It can be a lifesaver to many people who suffer from severe sleep apnea.
Health Disclaimer: All content and media on Zubican.com are produced for general informational purposes only. This content is not meant to be an alternative to professional advice from a doctor or other healthcare provider and shouldn’t be relied on as personal health advice. Results of any treatment or advice used from Zubican.com's content may have varying results.
It is strongly recommended to always seek the guidance of a doctor or other healthcare provider with questions regarding any health or a medical issue. Advice and treatment plans should never be disregard from a medical professional, or delay seeking it because of the content on Zubican.com.
If a medical emergency, call a doctor, travel to the closest hospital emergency department, or dial 9-1-1 immediately. Choosing to rely on any content provided by Zubican.com, is solely done at your own risk.