If you talk to any cat owner, you will be regaled with stories of the amusing and sometimes frustrating things those cats do for them. Whereas dogs need almost the attention level of having a child, cats have an independent streak that makes them perfect for people who work during the day. This doesn’t mean that cats aren’t affectionate. Cats form incredibly strong bonds with their owners over time. It merely can take a little bit longer than it does with a dog. Owning a cat isn’t that hard. Their needs can be met fairly easily. Cats are also perfect for people who live in apartments or condominiums. They make the most out of smaller environments. If you’re considering owning a cat, watch 10 minutes of youtube cat videos, and then consider this information.
How to Get a Cat
The good news is that cat adoption isn’t particularly hard. Cats are available at shelters and vet clinics everywhere. Typically there will be a small adoption fee, which may or may not include the costs of their vet needs. Kittens may seem like a good idea, but if you have a very specific personality in mind, it may be a mistake. Cats often don’t develop their personality until later in life. If you’re hoping for a cat that loves to cuddle, or a cat that prefers to be aloof and quiet, it’s better to adopt an adult. These cats have their personalities developed and can fit into your lifestyle right away.
If you are looking for a specialty breed or type of cat, then you’ll want to turn to the internet. It can help you find reputable breeders of highly sought after breeds like Persians, A Sphynx or Russian Blues. You can also find aberrations like munchkin cats. Be sure to research where you are purchasing from however. Make sure everything is legitimate.
Benefits of Owning a Cat
Some people know that cats make great pets, but don’t know why that is. The truth is that cats have some great benefits to their ownership and most people feel enriched when they own them. Some of the benefits are:
- Reduced Stress - Multiple studies have shown that stroking a cat is incredibly relaxing and has been shown to greatly reduce a person’s stress. For those who work difficult jobs, a cat can balance out some of those tough moments.
- Entertainment - Cats can provide some excellent entertainment as they run and play in goofy ways. Even a sleeping cat can make some weird but entertaining noises.
- Friendship - Cats grow incredibly strong bonds with their owners. Most people who find cats to be standoffish don’t own them. Cats won’t immediately take to everyone, but when they build a bond, they stick by it.
Tips for Owning a Cat
Owning a cat is usually pretty great. But cats do have some habits that aren’t perhaps what everyone would like. Here’s some tips to help you get the best cat owner experience possible:
- Provide Scratching Posts - Cats naturally need to stretch their claws, and a scratching post helps keep them trimmed down. Declawing is painful and damaging to a cat, so just provide them a way to keep their claws healthy without destroying your couch or chair.
- Go Slowly - If you adopt a cat, sometimes it takes a while for you to gain their trust. Make sure you set aside some time each day to be near them. You don’t need to actively be playing with them or showing them attention. Just being nearby and showing that you’re around will help to build that bond with them. Give them affection as they are ready for it.
- Provide Fun - Cats find fun in a different way. They like to pounce up to high perches or rest in containers. Some simple changes to your decor can provide them with places to jump or relax and play.