No one wants their home to be invaded by pests. A home is supposed to be a safe place, and when pests manage to invade, it loses some of that safety.
In addition, pests are tedious and often dirty. Some can even destroy a house or spread disease.
Unfortunately, people can’t completely prevent pests from showing up. Therefore they have to be reactive in their handling of pests. When pests show up, then it’s time to work out a way to deal with them and return the home (or business) to a pristine state. However, can you do it yourself? Or do you need a professional pest control company? And what qualifies as pests for your house? There is a lot of information to take in and understand about pest control.
There are a lot of different pests that people may find invading into their homes. Each can do different things and cause different problems. Being able to identify them is useful so that you can be prepared for the consequences. Here are some of the most common pests that people have to deal with:
- Termites - This is one of the worst potential pests that can infest a house because of the severe damage that they do to the house. Termites feed from organic fibers, and as such love wood. There are different types of termites that prefer different types of woods. Termite infestations can attack a home without even being noticed, so it’s good to perform manual checks regularly. Check to make sure that the wood in the home is solid, especially in wet areas.
- Cockroaches - Cockroaches are an unsightly and difficult to destroy pest problem. They thrive in the dark and in moist areas. Even a beautifully maintained home can suddenly find itself prove to cockroaches if they get inside through seams in doors and such.
- Bed Bugs - Bed Bugs can be one of the most difficult to get rid of pests due to their long lifespan. Bed bugs will painfully bite people as they sleep. To get rid of bed bugs, a mattress may need to be zipped into plastic. More likely, a professional will need to be called in.
- Spiders - Many people will find Spiders in their home. In most cases, a few spiders aren’t a problem. In fact, they can be quite beneficial in handling small pests that might be invading into a home. The only time when spiders are an issue is if the bite will be an issue. This can come from rare dangerous spiders, or if a person is allergic to spider bites.
- Rodents - Many people find that they may have an infestation of rodents. Typically the most tedious is rats, but mice or moles can also find their way into a home and a safe place to breed.
- Fleas - Fleas will commonly appear on pets and can spread out throughout a home. Alternatively, they can come in from a home garden or from long grasses.
Pest Control Companies
There are many different companies throughout the United States that work daily to help remove pests. They are well schooled in all of the different methods that might be required for the different pests from the previous section, as well as many others. Some of the best pest control companies are:
- Orkin Pest Control
- Ecolab Pest Control
- Southern Pest Control
- Riddex Plus Pest Repeller
These companies are merely some of many pest control companies across the nation. There are many local companies that will also do an excellent job. Companies can complete an inspection to confirm a pest problem, or complete the follow up extermination instead. Some companies specialize in humane methods, which are commonly used on rodents or other vertebrate mammals.